Assistant in Nursing/Enrolled or Allied
Workready Asia P/L and EDUK8U TVET School Asia P/L jointly have proposed fully managed healthcare staffing services to a prominent Area Health Service (AHS) provide who is a fully accredited small rural health service consisting of 40 Acute and 95 Aged Care beds across five sites. Servicing the land first inhabited by the Indigenous people of Australia. AHS provides a broad range of acute, Community-based, and aged care services integrated with local general medical practices. Additionally, AHS manages several other local services in post-acute care, planned activity groups and infection control. The duties of this position are to be performed with adherence to the purpose and values identified through AHS’s strategic plan and compliance with the Code of Behaviour for AHS staff.
The Enrolled Nurse’s (EN) role is that of an integral nursing team member. Within this role, the EN is
accountable for the efficient and effective provision of quality client and patient care that promotes the
customer's holistic well-being using a consumer-centred care model. The EN must, therefore, be able to
assess and prioritise consumer needs in the context of the ward workload to deliver positive outcomes for
every consumer, whilst working within their level of expertise and scope of practice in delivering quality care
in acute and residential services.
POSITION SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES
● Provides high-quality consumer care in a harmonious and safe environment, meeting all legal requirements and the consumer’s physical, social and spiritual needs.
● Maintain high-quality standards of consumer care in accordance with organisational nursing policies and procedures.
● Ensure consumers and their families are included in the planning of care.
● Complete documentation that accurately reflects consumer’s care needs while meeting funding and legislative requirements.
●Effectively communicate with other team members to ensure high-quality/timely care is provided. ∙ In consultation with the Registered Nurse, initiate referrals as required.
● Manage consumer medication administration in accordance with legislation (if medication is endorsed).
● Participate in the continuing assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of activities and goals to achieve optimal consumer care.
● Accept accountability for your own actions and seek guidance from the Registered Nurse when limited by your own level of expertise.
● Recognise and escalate changes in the consumer’s condition and initiate consultation with relevant medical/nursing and multi-disciplinary team members as required.
● Mentor or preceptor staff as directed by the Nurse Unit Manager or delegate.
● Assist consumers and their families to adjust to consumer care (if applicable).
● Support and assist consumers to maximise their independence.
● Promote and encourage consumer participation in activities of interest.
● Value and foster consumers’s interests, customs, beliefs, and cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
● Encourage consumers to participate in the decision-making process related to their care and environment.
● Ensure that the consumer’s private, personal or sensitive information remains confidential and the consumer’s dignity is respected at all times.
● Participate in innovative service development for AHS.
● Communicate and collaborate professionally with internal and external peers, stakeholders and consumers to promote AHS.
● Perform all other duties as directed (by the Registered Nurse) within the scope of practice.
● Respect decisions and actions of other staff; collaborate with team members to achieve desired consumer outcomes.
● Communicate respectfully with all employees in accordance with AHS Values and Standards of Behaviour.
● Assists in planning, delivering, evaluating and documenting quality nursing care in consultation with consumers, carers, and other health professionals.
● Ensures medical records are managed in compliance with relevant legislation and that privacy, confidentiality, and security are maintained.
● Complete filing and documentation as required on each shift.
Professional Competence & Development of Self and Others
● Accepts responsibility for own continuing professional development by setting realistic goals based on assessment of individual strengths and learning needs.
● Participates in the review of one’s professional development on an annual basis
● Supports the development of others by acting as a resource to colleagues and participating in orientation and mentoring of new staff.
● Maintain annual registration requirements and continuing professional development (CPD standards outlined by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency for Nursing and Midwifery).
● Undertake all assigned Education Training Schedule units outlined by Workready, EDUK8U and AHS.
Quality / Safety and Risk Management
● Demonstrated commitment to best practice.
● Understand the importance of consumer safety, clinical risk management and consumer participation within our organisation.
● Follow organisational safety, quality, risk management guidelines and relevant legislation.
● Take responsibility for your practice and, when appropriate, share responsibility for creating and maintaining systems that provide a safe working environment and high-quality health care.
● Escalate safety, quality, and risk concerns to the appropriate staff member – if unable to rectify yourself.
● Promote and participate in quality improvement activities to improve consumer outcomes and maintain accreditation standards.
● Comply with principles of consumer-directed care.
● Comply with requirements of relevant regulatory requirements.
● AHS’s values and expected behaviours support ethical and responsible decision-making and a culture where all staff behave with integrity and respond appropriately if behaviour (at any level within an organisation) falls short of expectations.
● AHS’s disclosure and reporting processes provide confidentiality, utilise effective investigation and escalation mechanisms and include a range of actions to address fraudulent, corrupt or other unacceptable employee behaviours.
● If you suspect unethical, fraudulent or corrupt behaviour, it is imperative to report that behaviour. Sometimes, this behaviour is managed internally, but if it meets the mandatory minimum requirements, the CEO, as the principal officer at AHS, has a statutory obligation to report material issues to the Independent Broad-based Anticorruption Commission (IBAC).
● Reports can be made directly to the CEO or the Board depending upon the level of the organisation where the suspected behaviour occurs.
● Ensure compliance with relevant AHS clinical and administrative policies and guidelines.
● Protect confidential information from unauthorised disclosure. Do not use, disclose or copy confidential
information except for the purpose of and to the extent necessary to perform your duties for AHS.
● Comply with relevant privacy legislation.
● Maintains current knowledge of clinical practice and research in nursing.
It is expected that the Enrolled Nurse works under the supervision of a Registered Nurse to meet the following
● Provides and ensures clinical nursing is delivered competently with the goal of excellence in nursing care.
● Contributes to the consumer’s journey through AHS by providing support that enables the consumer to engage more proactively with their condition and treatment
● Ensure the right patient receives the right care at the right place every time.
● Contributes to the consumer’s journey by providing support that enables them to engage more proactively with their condition and treatment.
● Practices following legislation affecting nursing practice.
● Contributes to quality activities that lead to continuous improvement in the ward.
● Communicates professionally and effectively with the team, consumers and families
● Actively participates in and contributes to continuous improvement initiatives.
● Provide guidance, leadership, mentoring and support to all staff to assist them in reaching their full potential.
● Achieves full compliance with the Education Training Schedule.
KEY BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES
● Consumer Focus
● Functional / Technical Skills
● Motivating Others
● Conflict Management
● Time Management
● Diploma in Nursing or Bachelor of Health Science (Nursing)
● Be eligible for registration as an Enrolled Nurse with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (Ahpra) and work towards holding a current Practicing Certificate (pathway to work towards as part of engagement).
● Demonstrated clinical knowledge and skills commensurate with experience.
● Knowledge of the National Safety & Quality and Aged Care Standards and ability to support these.
● Knowledge of the Australian National Aged Care operating model and the ability to document accordingly and as required.
● Demonstrated organisational skills, particularly for time management.
● Demonstrated ability to contribute and practice collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
● Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with consumers, visitors and employees at all organisational levels.
● Demonstrated ability to use Information Technology.
● A current National Police Check or ability to obtain a satisfactory check.
● Evidence of Recent Annual Influenza Immunisation
● Evidence of full immunisation against COVID-19
The Registered Nurse at AHS will hold:
● Ability to comply with the “Behavioural Outcomes” for this role.
● A Working with Children Check (agree to comply with and obtain in Australia if selected).
Staff at AHS must also comply with both the Industry and organisational Code of Conduct
RISK ASSESSMENT / JOB ANALYSIS
AHS provides a safe working environment for staff as part of the process Risk Assessments have been
carried out and this position could include some or all of the following. (All areas marked, e.g. X or ✔, to those that
apply to this position)
Do NOT COMPLETE OR APPLY without a clear understanding that you acknowledge and ensure:
● That you have read and fully understand the Position Description and the position’s Job Analysis.
● You agree that you have the physical ability to fulfil the inherent requirements of the position and accept the role in fulfilling the responsibilities, activities and duties.
● You understand that the information provided is a general outline and may not encompass every aspect of the position.
● That Workready, EDUK8U or AHS may alter the duties of this position description if and when the need arises. Any such changes in the future will have consultation with the affected applicant(s).
● You understand that this is separate from the employment agreement that, if selected, you will sign, outlining the terms and conditions of any engagement.